This past Sunday, we headed to Huntingdon County (PA) for numerous reasons:
- a load of wood
- adventures in sledding
- my grandmother's birthday
- and visits with both sets of grandparents since it was Valentine's Day to deliver treats.
We managed to get it all in 8 or 9 short hours. The repercussions of two parents who work full-time. We had planned on going Saturday but I was needed to work a full day. Luckily, Monday was a holiday allowing the possibility of a Sunday visit since we could be out late. The only other problem -- Mommy scheduled a 9:15 AM neuro appt. on Monday for Haley (since no one would have to miss a day of work) which would still make for an early morning.
It is becoming harder and harder to get off of work these days. I have always struggled with working because I feel our family life does suffer drastically because of it. It's either money but no time for anything or time but no money for anything. I don't know how so many families do it and I often wonder if having a special needs child makes it harder (working full-time that is). I would welcome any thoughts on this topic or the topic of working vs. staying at home. You may comment here or my email at stevens97262 @embarqmail.com. I'm just curious about people's thoughts and opinions as I think about it often. My heart tells me to stay at home but my head tells me to keep working. I typically tend to follow my head but I'm seeing my kiddos childhood slipping away and I'm not around to enjoy it. OK enough about that.
Saturday when I got home from work, we went out to eat and then shopping for Valentine's Day. While in Target, Nathaniel spied a box of chocolates and had to have them. He held up the box proudly. Smiling at me, he said, "Do you know who I'm thinking of?" I nodded and he said, "Hannah?" I nodded my head yes and he went to show it to his Dad.
When we arrived at my parents' on Sunday, he couldn't wait for Hannah to get there. He gave it to her almost immediately and luckily, she didn't injure him for his most thoughtful gift. Thank you, Hannah.

There was very good lighting due to the bright snow outside so I snapped a few pictures. The one below is one of my sisters. Stacey is just a little over a year and a half younger. She teaches high school history.

This is another sister, my youngest sister in fact. This was a picture from the beach this summer. We don't see Joey often because she is an elementary teacher in Virginia.

And now some scenes from our sledding experience. I took these through the window from the living room of my parents' house. I waited to see how Haley would settle in because she was fussy.

The above character is a younger sister of mine. Erin works as an LPN in a nursing facility close to home. Below is her daughter, Hannah, who had a WIPEOUT! Sorry Hannah.

I waited near the bottom of the hill to get some shots of Nathaniel and Jim coming down. After I got a few decent ones I took my camera inside and did some sledding myself. Nathaniel is really starting to enjoy it. He wasn't going as far as Jim or myself, so I had him lay on my back and he loved it! All but the walk back up the hill which was longer now.

Back to the top!

That was close!

He was trying to get turned to avoid me

and finally rolled over right in front of me.
Jim thought he was at the Olympic time trials...


5 comments:
Love the tattoos! Izzy has lots of them too so she and Norrah like to wear them but never on the face... maybe next time!
And I think you and I emailed last year about work. So, I will say this - if it is still on your heart after all that time then maybe you already know the decision that you should make. :)
None of us will be able to tell you what is best for YOUR family. But I definitely sense a pull in you towards not working - the only things standing in the way are the "what ifs"... to which I say that you have surely faced enough of them during Miss Haley's life to know that they really don't matter and it will work out!!! (of course that is just my measily two cents - and again - you and Jim certainly know best). I will be praying for you guys to figure that out.
LOVE YOU GUYS! CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!
Love the pictures! Looks like you had a blast in the snow. Our decision for me to stay home was a really simple one. With Brandon in the Marine Corps, he is deployed or on detachments at least 6-7 months out of the year, some years, more than that. We really felt that our kids needed the consistency and security of one parent home all the time. I truly do not know how I would work full time and come home to be a single parent. It is hard enough being a single parent without working. Because of the field I was in, I think I would also have a hard time working with other special needs babies when I could be home working with my own. I know it is a tough decision and I hope you are able to figure out what works best for your family. Can't wait to see you in April!!
Beautiful pictures as always. THe decision for me to stay home with Tanner and the other boys wasn't easy for us financially but we didn't really see any other option. Having a child with WHS definitely makes it harder to work. All of the appointments and therapies.....I honestly do not know how both parents work full time in this situation. What I have learned is there are a lot of programs out there to support families like us. Althoug we were denied for social security for Tanner we do get help from a few other organizations that are not income based. I mean for formula and medical care. Maybe if you research for awhile (if you haven;t already) you find some programs that will finacially make it more comfy for you to be at home with your kiddos. Good luck with your decision and I can't wait to see you guys in April:)
I love your photography. It is just amazing.
I returned to study when Ryley was 2 years old, and then returned to some part time work (2 days per week) when he was 3 years old.
He went to a beautiful daycare centre which was small (only 35 in the whole centre) and he got all his therapies while he was there (although we did still do some at home of course!).
I returned to full time work when he started school and I only ever worked during school hours.
Now, I am back at work 3 days a week-school hours and my 2 year old is at daycare and Ryley at school.
I like the balance mostly, though do find it hard to fit everything in and sometimes wish I could just have a day to myself.
It is such a personal decision and everyone's circumstances are so different. Do what your heart tells you.
Good Luck!
Hello Stevens Family,
Thank you so much for the input about the eye flutters. It's great to hear from other parents who have been there. Since I posted that posting Dylan's flutters have kind of tapered off. I hope they go away completely. Of course the EEG isn't until April (the soonest they could fit him in).
I just viewed you blog and you have a beautiful family and take beautiful pictures. :)
With regards to working. I have remained working part time (I am an RN), only 1-2 shifts/wk and it has worked out great. For me it gives me time to focus only on work and forget about everything else. It gives me a nice break from everything. However, if I had to work full time, I don't know, it would be really hard. Go with what your heart tells you and everything else will work out. :)
Post a Comment