I grew up on a farm and my parents had 4 girls. I, being the oldest, tagged along with Dad a lot. I ended up getting interested in hunting and although I haven't hunted much since high school, I have hunted a day or two each year when I can get off work. I haven't killed a deer since high school either.
That finally changed this year. Dad has put up a couple new stands the last couple of years in an attempt to get me in the right place. I was more glad I got this deer for him than I was for me. I still enjoy getting out but since having children, I find it difficult at times to shoot at an animal. The circumstances have to be just right. It can't be a mother with little ones, or just two deer together walk out to me and me be able to shoot. My emotions take over at that point. One lone deer, I'm better with that and if it is a buck, it is even better.
I understand that not everyone approves of hunting, but it is a way of life where I grew up. Luckily, I see more women getting into it nowadays.
This buck walked right out to me the first day. It was the second one I'd seen and I couldn't not take a shot at it. With Dad's insistence, I decided to have it mounted. Mainly for the memory of it one day... The look on Dad's face when he saw it was priceless. It was one of pride and joy... A moment I hope to share with Nathaniel one day if we can keep him interested in hunting.


1 comment:
Dulcie... who knew you were a hunting girl!
Post a Comment